Friday, March 31, 2006

Mr Noone's Scattered Thoughts (L) has added a new section, Hat Off, where subjective outstanding moments of literature get marked and celebrated. Read his last one here.

It happens right now I'm reading Mark Twain's Adventures Of Huckleberry Finn and I thought Good grief — this is so damned good there's no way I can avoid writing it down in Amapolas, a la Noone... So here it goes:

(Speaking about the old woman who takes care of him)

After supper she got out of her book and learned me about Moses and the Bulrushers, and I was in a sweat to find out all about him; but by and by she let it out that Moses had been dead a considerable long time; so then I didn't care no more about him, because I don't take no stock in dead people.

Pretty soon I wanted to smoke, and asked the widow to let me. But she wouldn't. She said it was a mean practice and wasn't clean, and I must try not to do it any more. This is just the way with some people. They get down on a thing when they don't know nothing about it. Here she was a-bothering about Moses, which was no kin to her, and no use to anybody, being gone, you see, yet finding a power of fault with me for doing a thing that had some good in it. And she took snuff, too; of course that was all right, because she done it herself.

What's one to say? Apaga y vámonos...

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Eduard,

I've liked that clarifying "subjective" in your post. As much as the "by and by" in Twain´s excerpt, so abundant in his writing.

Did I ever recommend you his Complete Short Stories? You can find them compiled in a Bantam Classic book. They're all worth the reading but let me highlight one called Luck.

Cool chap that Mr. Noone ...

Cheers,
-Toni

Eduard Fabra said...

Hi Toni,

Thanks for the comment and for the recommendation.

Cool cool, what you say cool, he isn't much, that Mr. Noone, but somehow he knows how to write... I wonder where and how he learned a thing or two about it... :-)